If you have noticed feeling off lately, it could be your thyroid underperforming. 

Here are some symptoms to look out for:

  • Feeling Cold

  • Fatigue

  • Depression

  • Constipation

  • Brain Fog

  • Insomnia

  • Weight Gain

Why is temperature important?

Temperature reflects your metabolism as well as immune system regulation. 

If you have noticed your body temperature lowering, it could be your thyroid. 

The thyroid is directly related to temperature, if your average temperature is below 98.6 F, then you may have a low performing thyroid.  

Can our thyroid hormone act as a natural antidepressant?

Many studies have shown that liothyronine is an effective strategy for depression in combination with antidepressants. 

I have found in many of my patients both mood and energy improve after hormone replacement therapy.

If you have been struggling with depression, it is recommended to check your TSH levels and panel to begin replacement therapy. 

My TSH is normal, why do I still feel tired?

Many doctors only look at TSH when diagnosing Hypothyroidism, instead of looking at the actual thyroid level produced in the body.

TSH is produced in the pituitary gland and signals to the thyroid to produce more of the hormone. Your labs can display normal TSH levels as well as lower levels.

For each patient, I check the T4 and T3 levels in addition to TSH levels. This is to see how your body is making and converting the hormones, and if it is abnormal or not.

Have you noticed you are unable to lose weight recently, or it has become much harder to shed the weight and keep it off?

Weight gain is a classic sign of Hypothyroidism. Without enough of the hormones, your metabolism slows down which can lead to additional weight gain. 

Stress, lack of stress, poor diet, gut dysbiosis and endocrine disruptors can lead to hypothyroidism as well. Taking all these considerations into thought will help you and your doctor to determine if testing is appropriate for you. 

Why is T4 important?

A T4 test is used to check how well your thyroid is working. It's also used to help diagnose and monitor disease and conditions that may affect your thyroid, including hypothyroidism, which is when your gland doesn't make enough hormone to meet your body's needs.

Something to look out for in your labs is if you have normal TSH levels, and a lower T4 level. This can be due to the autoimmune condition, Hashimoto’s. 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis can cause your thyroid to not make enough of the hormone. It occurs when your body makes antibodies that attack the cells in your glands. Symptoms may include an enlarged (goiter), tiredness, weight gain, and muscle weakness.

Fun facts about T4:

80% of Thyroid hormone in your body is T4, the rest of the 20% is T3. Your body converts T4 to T3 depending on your body's needs.

If you have issues with T4 to T3 conversion, you may have to address your diet, sleep and stress

Why is T3 important?

One of the most powerful hormones in your body is called Triiodothyronine, also known as T3. T3 specifically supports brain function, heart function, and digestion, and it plays a role in your metabolic rate and bone health. It influences almost every cell of your body. It helps hair grow, gives you energy, helps you lose weight, and improves your mood.

I check Free T3 on my labs panel and always aim for optimal levels. 

Side effects of a T3 imbalance include increased heart rate or anxiety.

I prescribe to my patients medications that contain T3- either desiccated thyroid extract or Cytomel.

Factors that reduce T3 conversion:

  • Nutrient deficiency of zinc and selenium

  • Dieting where there is calorie or a carb restriction

  • Inflammation

  • Lack of sleep

  • Intestinal issues

  • Stress

  • Medications such as steroids, stimulants, and dopamine

  • Endocrine disruptors in plastic, food, skin and hair products

 I am here to help you on your integrative wellness journey. If you would like to see me for a consultation for your health, book an appointment with me today!